Skip to main content

Tuition, Fees & Financial Aid

Tuition and Fees

All tuition and other fees listed in this Graduate Bulletin and in any registration material issued by the college are subject to change. In the event of any increase in fees or tuition charges, payments already made to the college will be treated as partial payments, and subsequent notification of the additional amount due and the time and method of payment will be given. Check the Bursar’s website at for fee changes prior to registration.

Senior Citizens

People who qualify as senior citizens may attend QC as auditors. To qualify they must be New York State residents 60 years of age or older who have completed high school. Senior auditors may enroll on a space available basis by completing the Senior Citizen Auditor Application, available through the Office of Admissions. Individuals who enroll shall be charged an administrative fee, the student consolidated services fee, as well as any other fees they may incur.

Provisions specific to the Senior Citizen Audit Program are:

■ Senior Citizen Auditors may enroll in undergraduate courses only on an audit basis without tuition charge and academic credit.

■ The grade of AUD will be assigned to all Senior Citizen Auditors.

■ Senior citizens are not permitted to register tuition free for any graduate-level course and utilize a tuition fee waiver.

■ Senior citizen auditors pay $80 per semester or session plus any course fees and penalty charges (change of program, late registration, late payment, etc.).

Payment of Tuition and Fees

Students must be prepared to pay all fees associated with their registration. These include tuition, consolidated service fee, student senate fee, student activity fee, technology fee, material and transportation charges, and other miscellaneous fees.

Students may view their charges on their CUNYfirst account. Payments can be made online with an eCheck (no fee is incurred for an eCheck transaction) or a major credit card. When you use a credit or debit card, a nonrefundable 2.65 percent service fee will be charged to your account in addition to your tuition, fee, and housing payment. Students also may enroll online in Nelnet (a payment plan) through their CUNYfirst Student Center to make paying their bill easier with equal monthly installments. The enrollment fee is $25 per semester/ session; if paying by credit or debit card, a nonrefundable 2.65 percent fee will be charged to your account in addition to your payment .

If a student pays by check or money order, his or her QC CUNYfirst ID number must be written in the memo section of their check or money order. Students may mail checks or money orders to the Bursar’s Office or pay in person at the Bursar’s Office with checks, money orders, or cash. A student who issues a check or an eCheck payment that is returned by the bank or our third-party processor for online payments will be liable for tuition and fees in addition to a reprocessing fee. Please note that future payment by check or eCheck will no longer be acceptable.

A “Stop Payment” on a student’s check does not cancel registration. The student must withdraw officially. Once a student registers for classes, that student assumes a financial responsibility. If the student chooses not to attend, the student must drop his or her courses before the first official day of the semester. Failure to do so automatically entails a financial obligation on the part of the student.

If you do not make full payment of your tuition and fees and other college bills and your account is sent to a collection agency, you will be responsible for all collection costs, in addition to whatever amounts you owe the college. Also, nonpayment or a default judgment against your account may be reported to a credit bureau and reflected in your credit report. For billing and payment information, refer to the Bursar’s website and the Bursar’s Information Letter at or see

Tuition Fees: Matriculated and Non-Matriculated

New York State Residents $470 per credit plus $ 65 per additional contact hour Maximum of $5,545

Out-of-State Students $855 per credit plus $ 85 per additional contact hour (No maximum)

Resident graduate degree students who take undergraduate courses and receive undergraduate credit for them are charged undergraduate tuition for those courses and the mandatory graduate student fees.

To qualify for resident fees, a student must have been a resident of the State of New York for a consecutive period of one year immediately preceding the first day of classes of the session in consideration.

Guidelines for Tuition Schedule

Resident graduate degree students enrolled for 12 or more credits or billable equivalent credits are billed the maximum tuition and student fee rates. Resident graduate degree students enrolled for fewer than 12 credits or billable equivalent credits are billed tuition on a per-credit basis and the lower student fee rates. The tuition for graduate degree students should not exceed the maximum tuition and fee degree rate in a regular semester.

There is no maximum tuition rate for Summer Session students. Similarly, there is no maximum rate for nonresident graduate students. Therefore, all Summer and nonresident graduate students are billed on a per-credit basis regardless of the number of credits for which they register. For additional information, contact the Bursar’s Office (Jefferson Hall 200; 997-4500)

Mandatory Student Fees

For each session of attendance, all students are required to pay mandatory student fees that cover student activities, Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), Student Union, and the like. It does not cover service fees that a student may incur individually, such as fees for program changes, late registration, transcripts, special examinations, or parking. Unless changed after printing of this Bulletin, the mandatory student fees for graduate students enrolled in 12 or more credits or billable equivalent credits (including technology fee and consolidated fee) total $260.85; the mandatory student fees for graduate students enrolled in fewer than 12 credits or billable equivalent credits (also including the technology fee and consolidated fee) total $198.35 for each session of attendance. The breakdown of the fee is shown below.

The mandatory student fees (activity fee, consolidated student fee, technology fee, and student senate fee) or any part thereof will not be refundable at any time, nor can they be waived unless the college cancels all courses for which a student has registered or the student formally withdraws from all classes prior to the official first day of classes. Exceptions may be made as follows:

  1. If a student is placed on active military service, partial refunds may be made. Students who are so notified should get in touch with the Veterans Support Services Office immediately


  2. The PIRG fee is refundable if application is made to the Queens College PIRG Office (Student Union LL36) within three weeks after the start of the session.

  3. The sports fee is refundable if application is made in FitzGerald Gymnasium 218 within three weeks of the start of the session. Students must show their paid bill with their application.

  4. The child care fee is refundable if application is made in the Child Development Center Office (Kiely Hall 245) within three weeks of the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters or within one week of the beginning of the Summer Sessions. Students must show their paid bill and ID.

Material/Film & Transportation/Field Charges

Material/film and transportation/field (MAT) charges may be applied in addition to tuition for various courses in this Bulletin. Charges are listed for individual classes in the Class Search function in CUNYfirst, available prior to registration. A student who drops a course that has such charges before the semester begins will receive a refund.

Academic Excellence Fee

This fee supports the costs of enhancing the instructional and program quality offered to graduate students enrolled in certain graduate-level program plans. For a listing of the program plans and their fees, visit tuition.

Chalk & Wire Fee

Chalk & Wire is an e-portfolio, web-based assessment management system that enables candidates in the Professional Education Unit to document academic and professional development, organize and showcase their work, and reflect on learning in alignment with programmatic goals, objectives, and national standards, including discipline-specific competencies.

Candidates enrolled in programs within the Education Unit must purchase Chalk & Wire subscriptions when instructed to do so by their programs. Subscriptions are offered in five-month and one-, two-, three-, and four-year increments (with costs ranging from $38.66 for five months to $132 for the four-year option).

Special Fees

The following fees will also be charged:

  1. When submitting an application for admission to Queens College, students are required to pay a nonrefundable fee of $75 at the time of filing for either matriculant or non-matriculant status in a master’s degree or certificate program.

  2. A re-entry fee of $20 is payable by matriculated students who want to re-enter the college after an absence of one or more semesters.

  3. A charge of $25 is made for late registration after the regularly scheduled registration period.

  4. A charge of $18 is assessed for students who change their schedules and add courses on or after the first day of the term. The flat fee of $18 is charged per day (not per course), and occurs each day the student’s schedule is changed when the term has begun.

  5. Parking on campus is by decal only and limited. The annual decal costs $275 and covers the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. For the Spring semester only, the cost is $138. Summer sessions cost $138 per session. Summit residents’ yearly parking is $440 plus $25 (refundable deposit) for an access card. (See Campus Parking in the Regulations section.) Payment can be made by check, cash, money order, or a major credit card.

  6. Duplicate Records fees are: (a) duplicate ID card, $10; (b) duplicate diploma, $30; (c) each transcript of record, $7 (waived when the transcript is to be forwarded to another unit of the City University); and (d) other duplicate records, $5. Each transcript of record is $7 (waived when the transcript is to be forwarded to another unit of the City University). Online orders require an additional $2 processing fee for a total of $9 per transcript request.

  7. A fee of $35–$60 is charged for the binding of the master’s degree thesis, depending on the number of copies ordered.

  8. The per-semester fees for maintenance of matriculation are $225 for NYS residents; $370 for out-of-state students.

  9. A $15 non-payment service fee is charged whenever a student does not pay any bill by its due date. It applies to all students, including those who are declared eligible for financial aid as well as to those not receiving aid.

  10. A payment reprocessing fee of $20 is charged when a check or eCheck tendered to the college by a student is not honored by the bank upon which the check is drawn. A separate fee will be charged for each check that requires reprocessing. In the event that the return of the check resulted from a bank error and the bank acknowledges the error in writing, the reprocessing fee may be waived. If your check or eCheck is returned by the bank for “stop payment,” you will be liable for all tuition and fees in addition to a reprocessing fee. A “stop payment” on a check or eCheck does not cancel any liability due to the college.

  11. A fee of $25 is charged when a makeup examination is given. Each additional examination in a session costs $5.

  12. Payment of service fees, fines, and miscellaneous charges may be made at the Bursar’s windows in Jefferson Hall. Parking fines must be paid by check, money order, or credit card at the Public Safety Office in Jefferson Hall, Room 201. The check or money order must be made payable to Queens College and include the student’s CUNY ID and ticket number.

The Bursar’s Office is open Monday through Thursday from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, Friday 9:30am to 1pm, and Tuesday and Wednesday evenings from 5 to 7pm, during Fall and Spring when classes are in session. During Summer, the Bursar’s Office is open Monday through Thursday from 9:30 am to 4:30pm and Wednesday evenings from 5 to 7pm when classes are in session. Please visit our website for more information on Summer office hours (

Refund of Tuition Fees

Once students have registered, they must pay for their classes by the payment due date. Students may change their registration online via their CUNYfirst SelfService Center. To receive a 100% refund of tuition, a student must have dropped all courses before the official opening day of the semester.

The last date of attendance in class is not an official withdrawal date unless the student cancels registration online. Refunds will be made in accordance with the following schedule. Students should refer to each semester’s Bursar Information Newsletter ( for specific calendar dates, including in Summer.


Except as otherwise noted, no other fees are refundable.

Checks Returned to the College by the Bank

If your check is returned by the bank to Queens College, your registration will be processed in the following manner:

1. Stop Payments: A stop payment on your check will NOT result in cancellation of your registration. You must cancel your registration online prior to the official opening day of classes. In such a case, you will receive a 100% refund of tuition and fees. As stated in paragraph 10 on the previous page, any check tendered to the college by a student that is not honored by the bank upon which the check is drawn will result in a reprocessing fee of $20.

2. Other: If your check or eCheck is returned by the bank or our online, third-party processor as not presentable for collection (NG), including “unable to locate account,” you will be liable for all tuition and fees in addition to the $20 reprocessing fee. Please note that payment by check or eCheck will not be acceptable in this case.


Students who have debts (for any tuition, fees, parking violations, breakage, emergency loans, etc.) that are past due will have a hold placed on their registration, transcripts, and diplomas until they satisfy their outstanding obligations to the college.

Financial Aid Programs

Many students need some sort of financial assistance to help pay the costs of attending graduate school. Financial aid at Queens College includes grants, work-study, and loans from New York State and the federal government, all of which can help pay related expenses beyond tuition and fees. For detailed information on costs, programs, eligibility criteria, and application procedures for federal and NY State aid, as well as links to other resources, visit our website at Note that financial aid programs, procedures, and requirements are subject to change. The following information highlights financial aid programs available to graduate students and important details for filing.

Aid Applications

  • The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the application for all federal aid (Title IV) programs, and is filed online at The FAFSA college code for Queens is 002690. To be considered for work-study, check the appropriate boxes on the FAFSA. Additional forms are required to apply for Direct Loans.

Note: Students in a PhD program at the CUNY Graduate School should file for aid through the Graduate School.

Aid Programs

New York State (with NY State residency requirements)

  • Scholarships: Math and Science Teaching Initiative Scholarship, Master-in-Education Teacher Initiative Scholarship, Veterans Tuition Assistance, and others (please see for full listing and how to establish initial eligibility).

Queens College Programs

  • Grants: Graduate Partial Tuition Reimbursement Program (pending availability of funds), based on the FAFSA.

  • Short-term emergency loans.

New York State Programs

Note: Where a question of eligibility exists, contact the Financial Aid Office for information and assistance.

Federal Programs

To be eligible for federal Title IV student financial aid programs (Federal Direct Loans and FWS), a student must:

  1. be enrolled at least half time (6 credits) as a matriculated student;

  2. be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;

  3. show evidence of need;

  4. be making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree;

  5. not be in default on any student loan, or owe a repayment of a Pell or Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.

Satisfactory Progress Standard

For purposes of receiving Title IV Federal Student Assistance, a student is considered to be making satisfactory progress toward a degree by meeting or exceeding the Graduate Division requirements concerning grade-point average, as explained in the section Required Grade-Point Average, Probation, and Dismissal (see Scholastic Standards). In addition the student must have accumulated credits toward the degree greater than or equal to two-thirds the cumulative credits attempted at the college and not have attempted more than 150% of the credits normally required for completion of the degree.

Students will be measured against the satisfactory progress standard at the end of the Spring term to determine their eligibility for receipt of funds for the upcoming year. Students who fail to meet the standard may appeal their status in the Graduate Admissions Office located in Jefferson Hall 105.


Appeals will be evaluated for mitigating circumstances resulting from events such as personal illness, injury, personal tragedy, changes in academic program, and the reasonableness of the student’s capability for improvement to meet the appropriate standard for the degree program in which the student is enrolled. A successful appeal would result in the granting of a one-year probation period for the student to improve the academic record to meet the appropriate standard for the degree program in which the student is enrolled. During this probationary period the student would be eligible for Title IV aid.


Title IV aid is awarded with the assumption that a student will attend school for the entire period for which the aid is awarded. If a student withdraws from all classes, he/she may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds originally scheduled to be awarded. The amount of Title IV funds a student has “earned” is based on the amount of time he/she has spent in academic attendance. Students are advised to contact the Office of Financial Aid Services prior to withdrawal.

Federal Direct Loan Program

Application Procedures

The first step is to file the FAFSA. After the FAFSA is processed, fill out the Direct Loan Processing Form online. Access this form through your CUNYfirst account from the student self-service page.

Selection of Recipients

To be eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, you must meet the eligibility requirements listed above. All students must complete a FAFSA to determine need for the loan.

Loan Schedule

A graduate student may borrow up to $20,500 per academic year under the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program, up to a combined total of $138,500, including any loan for undergraduate study. The amount you may borrow is limited to the cost of education at Queens College minus other financial aid you may receive at Queens College.

The interest rate on Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans is variable. Students are responsible for an origination fee, which is deducted from the payment(s).

For more detailed information about repayment schedules and procedures, visit our website at

Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP)

Application Procedures

Application is made through Queens College on the FAFSA.

Selection of Recipients

The college must make employment reasonably available to all eligible students. In the event that more students are eligible than there are funds available, preference is given to students who have a greater financial need and who must earn a part of their educational expenses.


The college arranges jobs on and off-campus, with public or private nonprofit agencies, such as hospitals, for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year and 35 hours per week during the Summer. The level of salary must be at least the minimum wage. Wages for graduate students are the same for all on-campus jobs; off-campus wages may vary. Satisfactory academic progress must be maintained, as well as satisfactory performance on the job.

Federal TEACH Grant Program

The TEACH Grant is offered to matriculated graduate students and does not require repayment so long as the student completes the program. To be considered for this federal financial aid, you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen admitted as at least a half-time student to an approved degree program, and you must maintain satisfactory academic progress to preserve your continuing aid eligibility. (Students not yet admitted into an approved degree program do not qualify.

As a condition of receiving a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve in which you agree (among other requirements) to teach in a high need field; at an elementary school, secondary school, or educational service agency that serves students from low-income families; and for at least four complete academic years within eight years after completing (or ceasing enrollment in) the course of study for which you received the grant.

If you do not complete your service obligation, all TEACH Grant funds you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education, with interest charged from the date the TEACH Grant was disbursed (paid to you or on your behalf).

Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits

Application Procedures

Application forms are available at all VA offices, active duty stations, and American embassies. They also can be downloaded at the G.I. Bill website (www.gibill. In addition, forms and assistance in completing and submitting them to the VA Regional Office are available at the Veteran Support Services Office, located in Student Union 320.

Educational benefits are available through the VA under the following programs:

(Post-9/11) G.I. Bill (Chapter 33): For veterans and service persons who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. Eligible service members may transfer all 36 months or the portion of unused Post9/11 GI Bill benefits to a spouse or child. The request to transfer unused GI Bill benefits to eligible dependents must be completed while serving as an active member of the armed forces.

Montgomery G.I. Bill—Active Duty (Chapter 30): For service persons who entered active duty between July 1, 1985 and June 30, 1988.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31): For veterans who have at least a 10% disability, as a result, of active service.

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) (Chapter 32): For veterans and service persons who first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and who elected to make contributions from their military pay to participate in this education benefit program.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Benefits (Chapter 35): For spouses and children of veterans whose death or total, permanent disability was service-connected.

Montgomery G.I. Bill—Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606): For active-duty members of the Selected Reserve (Selected Reserve components include the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard).

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) (Chapter 1607): For active members of the Selected Reserve called to active duty and members of the Individual Ready Reserve (Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR and Marine Corps IRR). These active members of the Selected Reserve must have served at least 90 consecutive days on active duty in response to a contingency operation declared by the president or Congress.

VA Pending Payment Policy

A. In accordance with Title 38 U.S. Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.

  1. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA. This school will not: 1. Prevent or delay the student’s enrollment;

  2. Assess a late penalty fee to the student;

  3. Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;

  4. Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.

B. However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:

  1. Produce a Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;

  2. Provide a written request to be certified;

  3. Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.

In the event an expected payment from the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs was not posted to the student’s account, he or she must alert the Bursar’s Office.

Queens College Programs

Emergency Student Loan Funds

Students may borrow small amounts to cover emergencies for a short time and pay no interest. In general, loans are limited to $100 and are to be repaid within 30 days. Apply in person at the Financial Aid Office. Approved loans usually may be obtained in two days.