Skip to Main Content
Navigated to Degree & Certificate Offerings.

Degree & Certificate Offerings

Queens College offers the following graduate degrees: Master of Arts, Master of Arts in Liberal Studies, Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Library Science, Master of Music, Master of Science, and Master of Science in Education. Certificate programs currently accepting students include: Applied Behavior Analysis in Psychology, Post-Master’s Certificate in Library Science, Specialist Diploma in Educational Leadership, School District Leader, and the Professional Certificate in School Psychology.

Post-baccalaureate Advanced Certificates leading to New York State provisional teacher certification are offered in Elementary Education in Visual Arts (K–12), Family and Consumer Science (K–12), Music (pre-K–12), and Physical Education (K–12); and in Adolescent Education in English, English Language Teaching, French, General Science (Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, and Physics), Italian, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Spanish. Bilingual certificates are offered in connection with master’s degree programs in Counselor Education, School Psychology, and Special Education. Post-baccalaureate certificate programs in Librarianship are also offered.

BA/MA Degrees

For qualified undergraduate students, the Departments of Biology, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Philosophy, and Physics offer the opportunity to receive combined bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Application to the BA/MA program should be made during the upper sophomore or lower junior semester; admission is granted only in the junior year. Full details and application forms can be obtained from the chair or graduate advisor of these departments. See page 10 for a listing of the BA/MA degree programs officially registered under HEGIS codes with the New York State Department of Education (Office of Higher Education & the Professions, Cultural Education Center, Room 5B28, Albany, NY 12230; 518-474-5851).

Students are advised that enrollment in other than registered or approved programs may jeopardize their eligibility for certain student aid awards.

Master’s Degrees

See listing on pages 10–12 for all the master’s degrees that are offered by the college, along with their HEGIS and New York State Education codes.

Certificate Programs

The certificate programs offered by the college are listed on page 12, along with their HEGIS and New York State Education codes.

Doctoral Programs

Many members of the Queens College faculty participate in the doctoral programs of the City University of New York, which are coordinated through the CUNY Graduate School located in midtown Manhattan. In addition to awarding the PhD degree, the Graduate School offers many services for graduate students, including library and computer research facilities.

The following PhD degrees are offered: Anthropology, Art History, Biochemistry, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, Business, Chemistry, Classics, Comparative Literature, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Earth & Environmental Sciences, Economics, Educational Psychology, Engineering, English, French, Germanic Languages & Literatures, Hispanic & Luso-Brazilian Literatures, History, Linguistics, Mathematics, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Speech & Hearing Sciences, Theatre, and Urban Education. Both PhD and MD/PhD degrees are offered in Biomedical Sciences, and the DSW is offered in Social Welfare. The DMA is offered in Music Performance. Advanced doctoral work in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Physics, and Psychology (Neuropsychology and Learning Processes: Behavior Analysis) is given at Queens.

The first 30 credits of graduate work at the master’s level constitute the first year of the doctoral program in some departments. Financial assistance may also be available. For more information, contact the appropriate department at the college or the CUNY Graduate School, 365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309.

QNS Image of Woman holding a book and smiling.


Students are responsible for meeting degree requirements in force at the time of their first enrollment as matriculated students. Changes to the structure of a program will be applied in such a way as to avoid increasing the number of credits required of students who have started taking courses in the program. If degree requirements are changed following matriculation, the student may have the option of satisfying either the original or new requirements.

Students dismissed for academic reasons may be subject to new regulations, depending on how long after dismissal the student returns and such other factors as may be taken into account by the Graduate Scholastic Standards Committee.

Please consult the appropriate departmental listing in this Bulletin for specific degree and advanced certificate requirements, including the number of semester hours required for the program, mandatory courses, etc. General requirements are as follows:

Minimum Grade-Point Average of B (3.0): All programs must be completed with a minimum average of at least B (3.0). At the completion of the total credits allotted to a program, if a student does not have a 3.0 average and wishes to register for additional courses in order to attempt to raise the grade-point average, permission to do so must be obtained from the appropriate academic dean. Such courses must be taken at Queens College. For information on probationary status and dismissal, see the section on Scholastic Standards.

Time Limits: All programs must be completed within the time limits permitted for each degree and advanced certificate program. The time limit for completion of all requirements for the Master of Arts, Master of Arts in Liberal Studies, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Library Science, or Master of Science degree is four years. The time limit for the Master of Arts in Teaching and the Master of Science in Education degree is five years. Time limits for certificate programs are noted under the appropriate departmental listing in this Bulletin. Transfer credits or credits taken as a non-matriculant that have been approved by the department must have been taken within the time limit. Requests for extensions of time must be submitted to the appropriate academic dean.

Credit Requirement: The number of credits required for master’s degree programs varies by program and ranges from 30 to 60. The number of credits required for certificate and diploma programs also varies. Please consult the appropriate departmental listing in this Bulletin for the credits each program requires.

Thesis and/or Comprehensive Examination Requirement(s): Consult the appropriate departmental listing in this Bulletin to determine if a thesis and/ or comprehensive examination constitutes part of the requirements for the degree or advanced certificate.

Summer Session

The college offers several Summer Sessions. Graduate courses are scheduled during two six-week sessions, and also may be given during the four-week session. All of the college’s academic, recreational, and cultural facilities are available during this period. For graduate courses and other information, please visit the Summer Session website (, or write to Summer Session, Queens College, CUNY, Queens, NY 11367-1597. Limited graduate courses are offered in the Summer Session; consult your individual department and/or MA advisor for details about your program.

Transfer Credits

In most cases, a maximum of 12 credits of graduate work completed at other institutions may be accepted as transfer credit, if approved by the appropriate department(s) and taken within the time limit specified for the degree or certificate program.

Matriculated students seeking transfer credit for graduate work taken at another institution must submit the request for evaluation of such credit no later than the end of their second semester in attendance. The credits to be transferred must have been taken before the student matriculated at Queens College.

Only the following grades will be accepted for transfer credit: A+, A, A–, B+, B, and B–. (In cases where a student obtained a P grade, and the P is equivalent to no lower than a B–, the grade may be transferred if approved by the appropriate department.)

Some graduate programs will not accept courses for credit where the grade is below B. Check the departmental listing in this Bulletin.

New graduate matriculants who wish to transfer credits from one Queens College record to another Queens College record must file a departmentally approved Advanced Standing Transfer Credit Form inthe Graduate Admissions Office (Jefferson Hall, 1stfloor).


Currently enrolled matriculants who wish to take courses at another institution must first file for an official permit through the Office of the Registrar prior to taking the course. The permit acts as an agreement to allow the student to receive credit for one or more courses completed at another institution. Permits must be filed during the registration period for the term in which the course is to be taken. Retroactive permits will not be issued.

There are two types of permit:

  1. CUNY permits (E-Permits), for courses taken at another CUNY institution, are filed online by logging on to CUNYfirst, Student Self-Service. In the dropdown menu under Academic, select ePermit.

  2. Non-CUNY permits, for courses taken at institutions unaffiliated with CUNY, are filed by submitting a Non-CUNY Permit Request form to the Office of the Registrar. The form must be signed by a faculty graduate advisor to indicate departmental permission for the courses to be taken, and must be processed by the Office of the Registrar. Forms are available online at Courses taken with a non-CUNY permit receive credit only; grades for such courses are not included in the student’s GPA.

To be eligible for a permit to enroll outside Queens College in a course or courses pertaining to a graduate degree or certificate program, a student must first:

  1. be matriculated in a graduate degree or certificate program at the college;

  2. have obtained the approval of the departmental graduate advisor for the permit; and

  3. have registered for and completed with a passing grade at least one undergraduate prerequisite course or one graduate course as part of the graduate program at Queens College—except that, if the student is in the first semester of attendance, he/she must register in at least one graduate or undergraduate course at Queens while simultaneously registering elsewhere for the permit course(s).

Students who have taken an entire semester’s program on permit at an institution other than a CUNY college must pay a reentry fee and file a graduate reentry application.

Transfer and Permit Courses Grades and GPA

Transfer credit grades and grades earned on permit at a non-CUNY institution will not be counted into the cumulative grade-point average (GPA); only the course equivalent or elective credits are posted to the student’s record at the college. A minimum grade of B– must be earned in order to receive credit for the course toward the degree. It is the responsibility of the student to have an official transcript sent to the Office of the Registrar once the course is completed. No advanced standing or transfer credit may be posted to a student’s Queens College record unless an official transcript certifying to the completion of the work has been submitted.

Important note: As of the Fall 2004 semester, grades earned for coursework completed on permit at a CUNY institution other than Queens College will be posted to the student’s record and will be counted into the student’s GPA. Queens College will now secure the grade from the host college on the student’s behalf.

Thesis, Capstone Project, or Research Papers

A student matriculated in a department that requires a master’s thesis, capstone project, or research papers must submit the manuscript in as many copies as required to the departmental advisor for approval. The title page of the manuscript must bear the following description: “Submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Master of Arts or Master of Arts in Liberal Studies or Master of Library Science in (Department) in the Graduate Division of Queens College of the City University of New York, date.” Thesis, capstone project, and research paper approvals must be submitted to the appropriate academic dean prior to the degree conferral date. These approvals must then be forwarded by the office of the dean to the Registrar’s Office to be posted to the student’s record on or before the conferral date.

After the manuscript has been approved, the student must arrange for binding. A $25 binding fee must be paid at the Bursar’s window, and a receipt will be issued. The receipt and two copies of the manuscript must be taken to the Catalogue Department, Rosenthal Library, Room 201. One bound copy of the manuscript is retained by the Library and becomes part of its collection. A second bound copy is for the academic department. If desired, a third copy may be submitted, which, when bound, will become the property of the student.


For relief from or waiver of regulations of the Graduate Division, students may petition the Office of the Provost. Appeals of the decision of the office may be directed to the Graduate Scholastic Standards Committee through the Associate Provost.

QNS Image of Meeting Among three individuals.


Master’s Degrees

Master’s degrees are offered in these officially registered graduate programs, listed with their HEGIS and New York State Education codes.